Austin City Limits Festival: A Green Oasis
This year’s Austin City Limits Festival to take place on September 14-16 is sure to be one of the “greenest” festivals ever! (both literally and metaphorically). With all the rain that Texas has experienced this summer, it is as if we are living in our own green oasis. We can be pretty sure that the dust bowl fears of ACLs past will not be a concern. Event promoters are also stepping up their game and ensuring green efforts from all angles including festival operations. Just a few green sneak peek highlights include:
- All food will be served on either compostable or biodegradable paper plates.
- No Styrofoam allowed on site. Nothing can be packed in it; nothing can be served in it.
- Using biodiesel in site generators to the highest extent possible.
- Select site enhancements will be powered by solar energy.
- Using high efficiency lighting as much as possible (including LEDs) and replacing incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs).
- Will provide incentive programs in place encouraging patrons to participate in recycling program in place for plastic water bottles and beer cups.
- All corrugated cardboard will be broken down and recycled.
- Portalets will be stocked with recycled toilet paper (huh?)
- Handwashing stations will have hand sanitizers rather than paper towels (This was the talk of the festival last year, well not really, but really improved the port-o-potty experience:-)
- Used batteries from stage & production areas will be collected for proper disposal.
- Patrons will be encouraged to bring old cell phones and batteries for proper recycling.
This year features an incredible line-up with 8 stages and over 130 bands including: Bob Dylan, The Killers, Wilco, The Decemberists, Lucinda Williams, and The White Stripes just to name a few. Stay tuned for more news in the next month as new surprises always pop up in the weeks and days leading up to the festival. ACL fever – can you feel it?!!!