by Michael dEstries
Categories: Causes, Print
Tags: .

xin_18211042114127813125020.jpgAuthor JK Rowling has written a not-so-secret companion piece to the Harry Potter series that’s set to go under the auction block at London’s Sotheby’s on December 13. Titled The Tales Of Beedle The Bard, the book contains five fairy tales given to Potter character Hermione Granger by Albus Dumbledore in the final book of the series, Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows.

Only ten copies were created — handwritten and illustrated by Rowling — and each is different in some way from the other. Additionally, they are all bound in leather and decorated with silver ornaments and moonstones. Proceeds from the auction (with a starting bid of $100,000) will go to benefit The Children’s Voice campaign; a charity Rowling established to help vulnerable children.

I love the exclusivity of this book — but why not just make it a commercial companion piece to the series? I’m sure it would generate millions that could benefit a hundred different charities. Chances are, that’s exactly what will eventually happen. The good news is you’ll be able to view the full copy online before the auction starting December 9th.

About Michael dEstries

Michael has been blogging since 2005 on issues such as sustainability, renewable energy, philanthropy, and healthy living. He regularly contributes to a slew of publications, as well as consulting with companies looking to make an impact using the web and social media. He lives in Ithaca, NY with his family on an apple farm.

View all posts by Michael dEstries →

14 Responses to Secret Harry Potter Book To Benefit Children’s Charity

1. Pingback: Books Without Limits | Potter Takes Children’s Charity In Hand

2. ehrehrere says:

There are only seven copies, not 10 and they each have different stones on the cover. Only the one that is being auctioned has moonstones.

3. Butch says:

This is cool, but where does it fit into a more ecologically aware lifestyle?

4. michael says:

Butch — Ecorazzi has “Eco” in the name, but we cover all aspects of good works — from humanitarian efforts to charity (like the above) to animal rights. Thanks for the comment!

5. Pingback: Harry Potter Book Magically Raises $3.9 Million For Charity // Archives // ecorazzi.com :: the latest in green gossip

6. brenna says:

Interesting. I hope it brings in a lot for charity at auction and then a more commercial version is produced that will bring in even more! Plus, I’d like to take a look at it, I just can’t abide secrets!

7. shalu says:

very cool. i hope they do print a commercial copy (if not only just to add to the fundraising for the charity)…yes, i’m a nerd. i like the HP books. :)

8. Tara Potter says:

What is going on! Harry Potter should not be auctioned! But seriously, how is this a eco-friendly lifestyle? No, I’m just kidding, I love the HP books:D!!!

9. Christina says:

I think that’s such a great idea but why only 7 or 10 or whatever? I’d love SO much to read that book. No way on Earth could i possibly afford that though for one book.

10. caroline says:

At least I don’t want one, now that I have seen that they are leather bound!

11. Cody Crawford says:

Well its a shame that it is leather-bound.

As a Harry Potter fan I am disappointed.

12. Indian so "Sukriti Bagchi" says: