Ellen DeGeneres Fights Animal Cruelty But Plugs CoverGirl?
Last weekend, Ellen DeGeneres hosted a star-studded event in Hollywood raising cash and support for Proposition 2 — a ballot initiative in California that would outlaw confining crates and cages used in the factory farming of hens, veal calves and pregnant pigs. “I think no one goes out of their way to hurt an animal,” DeGeneres told the LA Times. “This isn’t even taking care of them,” She added. “It’s just making things a little better for them.” Ecorazzi was there and we’ll have a full video report later, but Deceiver.com brings up an interesting point regarding DeGeneres’s love of animals and her new gig plugging makeup for CoverGirl.
A couple weeks ago, Ellen announced that she was the new face of Covergirl. “It’s a very cool thing I’m honored and the photo shoot was ‘easy, breezy, beautiful CoverGirl,” she quipped. The campaign is set to launch in January. But here’s the problem…
Under their parent company Procter & Gamble, CoverGirl is one of the largest companies conducting animal testing in the United States — even though P&G says they’ve discontinued animal testing on 80% of their products. Do the remaining 20% of animals not have a voice then?
Frankly, this is pretty dissappointing for a someone like DeGeneres to throw her support behind CoverGirl one week and then say she “loves animals” the next at a giant fundraiser. Which one is it — or are we to believe that a paycheck makes those 20% suffering more tolerable to ignore?