'Green Lantern' Filming In New LEED Certified Studios
Anyone in hot anticipation of next summer’s superhero flick Green Lantern — starring Ryan Reynolds in the title role, as well as Peter Sarsgaard, Blake Lively, Taika Waititi, Mark Strong and Angela Bassett – might be interested to learn that the very same sound stage being used for the film happens to be legitimately “green” in more ways than just its title. Located in the heart of New Orleans’ Lower Garden District, the 220,000 square foot Second Line Stages facility is LEED Silver certified and boasts the following eco-friendly features:
- Energy efficient, ozone-free air conditioning systems.
- Extensive recycling available throughout the entire campus, sound stages and offices.
- On-set composting.
- Bicycle racks available to encourage greener commuting.
- Fuel efficient vehicles have premium parking sites.
- No more one-time-use plastic water bottles! Instead, water fountains equipped with bottle refilling spouts are located throughout the facility.
- Plumbing fixtures use low flow water system.
- Janitorial services are using eco-friendly cleaning products.
- Staff members have access to a green vendor database including eco-friendly options for transportation, catering, etc.
- The office tower and parking lot both employ motion sensor lights plus the remainder of the facility contains energy efficient fixtures/lamps.
- Office workers are urged to print as little as possible.
- All business correspondence and cards printed with soy based ink.
- Energy star appliances can be found in all kitchen facilities.
- The sound stages and offices also contain U.S. Green Building Council-approved non toxic furniture, carpet, windows, paints and finishes.
- All leftover construction material continues to be recycled.
- Additionally, a “Green PA” training course is available for all interested crew members
A taxi garage was converted into three of Second Line Stages’ support structures as well as two sound stages and then augmented with the construction of a brand new third sound stage, office facility, and digital screening room. Overall, the multi-million dollar studio has rightfully achieved a superior environmental ranking due to its ability to conduct business in a cleaner and more eco-responsible manner, which is something that is practically nonexistent in Hollywood today.