Groovy Green Momma Nicole Richie Dispenses Captain Planet Friendly Tips
Former party girl and current mother/do-gooder Nicole Richie has left her old life far behind in favor of being a positive role model for her family and America’s children. In addition to establishing the Richie-Madden Children’s Foundation which helps disadvantaged LA families, the 4 year board member of the Environmental Media Association has taken a mentoring role in an effort to spread nutritional and environmental awareness to America’s children — much in the way that British chef Jamie Oliver has spearheaded the major overhaul of the educational lunch system from the inside.
To help get kids on board, Richie shed her endlessly photographed Boho style and donned a Captain Planet outfit. Hysterical!
Wanna read Richie’s tips?
- Bring reusable containers to restaurants so you avoid using disposable, restaurant provided to-go boxes for leftovers.
- Using a reusable water bottle rather than purchasing single-use containers of water is easier on the planet and your wallet.
- Seek out biodegradable plastic alternatives to plates, cups and bags.
- Any biodegradable food scraps should be composted to benefit soil quality.
- Ride your bike if you’re traveling within two miles of your house (1 pound of CO2 pollution is cut for every mile pedaled).
- Reduce the amount of meat you consume and make a point of incorporating more organic and locally grown foods into your diet.
- Parents should look toward the trash can for art-and-craft-friendly materials that their children can exercise their creativity with.
Got any more green tips to add? Leave and comment and let us know!