Did you know that your version of Internet Explorer is out of date?
To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend downloading one of the browsers below.

Internet Explorer 10, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari.

Kevin Costner's Oil Filtration Tech To Hit Gulf Spill

Like us on Facebook:
The current article you are reading does not reflect the views of the current editors and contributors of the new Ecorazzi

Yesterday, the world was all aflutter of the announcement that Kevin Costner was stepping in to save the day down in the Gulf. The actor and his brother have invested considerable time and money in a device that extracts oil from water — making it of particular interest for residents battling oil washing up on shore.

“We moved this through a technology that we know works, and it’s prepared to go out and solve problems, not talk about them,” Costner said.

Another big announcement that was misreported by the media was that Costner was donating $26 million to support cleanup efforts. I was skeptical of this massive amount yesterday — thinking that someone in PR land had missed a decimal point. Turns out, that $26 million is the amount that Costner has invested in the oil filtration tech over the last 15 years, not what he’s going to hand out. Makes sense, right? I mean, it’s not like Costner has been that successful of a movie star.

Still, it stands to reason that if his company’s oil tech works, he could be seeing a nice payout for all that time and money. WDSU has some details on how it all works:

The machine works on the principle of centrifugal force. In this case, diesel fuel and water enter the machine together and are jettisoned separately, with water on one side and diesel on the other. The machine will clean the water up to 97 percent, officials with Ocean Therapy Solutions said. “We’re working on the technology now that will get us the other 3 percent so that you can actually drink out of the machine,” OTS official John Houghtaling II said.

The company offers five different machines that work from 5 gallons a minute to 200 gallons a minute — so this is definitely a tool and not a fix.

“I just am really happy that this has come to the light of day,” Costner told WDSU. “I’m very sad about why it is, but this is why it was developed, and like anything that we all face as a group, we face it together.”

According to the news station, local partners have been organized to deploy the machine for BP.

via WDSU

Like us on Facebook:

Dairy virus increases human risk of breast cancer by 3.1 times

Saying no to dairy is crucial for the lives of cows, but we’re learning more and more that consuming dairy can have grave consequences for us, too.


Vegan fast-food chain lands $22 million in funding for expansion

A further sign of the acceleration of a need for more accessible plant-based dining options.


Please, Jenna Dewan Tatum, stick to ethical veganism

Jenna, use your star power to remind people that animals cannot be commodified, but make sure that’s the position you believe whole-heartedly first.