Singer Kelis Rips PETA Following Attack For Wearing Fur Hat
R&B singer Kelis — who is now showcasing an eclectic mix of industrial techno, New York house and Euro electro on her latest studio release Flesh Tone — may be known for her milkshake that brings all the boys to the yard but now she’s earned a new reputation as a PETA hater.
Formerly wed to Nas and enjoying what some say is a hefty chunk of alimony, the songstress and fashion plate who changes her hairstyles as often as her allegiance to designers recently rattled off quite a stinging commentary about the animal rights group that probably won’t earn her any new fans in the immediate future (at least among the vegetarian set).
Still, her highly opinionated PETA-dissing perspective has made headlines (along with her recent arrest for disorderly conduct among other brazen behaviors) because it is just…so…out there. Girl’s not afraid to tell it like she sees it.
The kerfuffle began when Kelis was spotted wearing one of her typically outrageous, risk-taking ensembles — a tall, Russian-style fur covered hat that she says is one of her favorites due to the fact that it rocks a ‘Cruella de Vil’ vibe.
An outraged PETA mailed the singer a letter expressing their disappointment in her choice of fashion and Kelis, in turn, dashed off an equally irate letter of her own claiming among other things that they are hypocritical since “they euthanize 97% of the [animals] that are bought to them” and they were daring to attack her for wearing a small fur accessory as opposed to a full fur covered outfit (which she acknowledges she has done in the past).
She then took to her My Space page to elaborate on her feelings. Some of her most memorable comments below the fold…
- On PETA’s founder Ingrid Newkirk: “She is completely batty…I mean certifiably insane!” Kelis takes issue with the fact that Newkirk is a diabetic who requires insulin (which is derived from laboratory pigs), suggesting that she is hypocritical since she champions animal rights and attacks animal abuse, except when “it can help” her.
- On the animal rights organization choosing to use her as an example: “If u want to preach, do it about something worthwhile — don’t waste my time trying to save the dang chipmunk.”
- On her appreciation for fur: “It’s not just the look of fur. It’s warm as hell and feels glorious.” Kelis says that faux fur can’t compare, claiming that there’s “nothing luxurious about that.”
- Regarding endangered animals, she says that she does “believe in the preservation of endangered species” and would totally understand PETA attacking her for wearing polar bear or orangutan fur, but explains that the animals she chooses to wear – such as chinchilla and mink – are commonly available rodents that she “would demand they be put to death anyway.”
- On her meat-eating lifestyle: “I eat meat, and in fact my mouth salivates as I type the word meat!”
In a final zinger, Kelis stated that anyone who “hate(s) the world so much (should) go live in the forest where no one else has to hear you complain about the perfectly good food chain the good Lord created. Everyone has the right to an opinion, and that’s mine on that!”
Yowch. Anyone who wants to see Ms. Thang on camera mid-rant might want to check out this video clip with MTV’s Buzzworthy.