Humanitarian George Clooney Offered Membership To Prestigious Organization
Some celebrities flaunt their wealth, others sit back and enjoy it, and then there’s George Clooney who spends a great deal of his personal time and money trying to right the injustices that run rampant in our world.
Perhaps his motivation to do more in this world (than merely just sit on his movie star laurels and bask in the glory) can be attributed to his news anchor father and aunt (Rosemary Clooney) who both urged him to not “wake up at seventy years old sighing over what you should have tried. Just do it, be willing to fail, and at least you gave it a shot.”
Clearly the energizer bunny-like humanitarian has taken those words to heart in light of the impressive list of accomplishments under his belt and apparently, the Council on Foreign Relations has taken note since they’ve just extended the actor the incredible honor of enjoying lifetime membership in their organization.
He will now be afforded the opportunity of brainstorming solutions to the world’s most pressing international affairs with fellow distinguished think tank luminaries such as Madeleine Albright, Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice and Hollywoodites like Warren Beatty and Michael Douglas.
Anyone who is a bit curious regarding what the Academy award nominated actor has accomplished in his spare time might appreciate this Clooney 101 charity crash course:
- United Nations Messenger of Peace
- Raised $58+ million for victims of Haiti’s earthquake by putting together “Hope For Haiti Now: A Global Benefit For Earthquake Relief” telethon along with fellow organizers.
- Incredibly active in Darfur in an effort to draw attention to ways to remedy ongoing violence and human rights violations.
- Founded the non-profit Not On Our Watch to help address Sudanese genocide as well as other third world victims of multiple disasters
- Member of United Way’s Board of Trustees
Seems like he more than earned this latest accolade, don’tcha think?