Director and activist Michael Moore is in a merry mood this holiday season and using his joy to encourage others to give back. Under the alias of Santa, the controversial filmmaker recently wrote an article on The Huffington Post and revealed his six favorite holiday causes.
“Mrs. Claus, the elves, the reindeer and I are asking if you could make a last minute donation to one of the six worthy organizations I’ve listed below,” says Moore. “Or do it as a gift in someone else’s name and make that their Christmas present.”
So just what are Santa/Moore’s favorite organizations? Here’s a list of who’s on Michael’s nice list this year:
- The Innocence Project – A national litigation and public policy organziation deicated to exonerating wrongfully convicated people through DNA testing and reforming the criminal justice system to prevent future injustice.
- The Bradley Manning Defense Fund - A fund set up for Private Bradley Manning who allegedly came across video of his fellow soldiers killing two reporters and a group of Iraqis civilians and is now being held in solitary confinement.
- WikiLeaks - A not-for-profit media organization dedicated to bringing important news and information to the public.
- The Water Project – A non-for-profit organization that’s bringing relief to communities around the world who suffer needlessly from a lack of access to clean water.
- Park 51 Islamic Community Center- A not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing social and community services to the lower Manhattan community.
- Democracy Now - A national, daily, independent, award-winning news program hosted by journalists Amy Goodman and Juan Gonzalez.
Wanna know why Michael thinks they’re so great! Visit HuffingtonPost.com to find out more and to learn how you can get involved!