It’s time to shake off those empty glasses and get a plate full of salt ready, because today is officially National Margarita Day!
I know, I know, as if you needed another excuse to whip up this drink on a lonely Tuesday. But think of this as an opportunity to toast to history, because the first margarita was created around 1934 by Barman “Willie” in honor of Marguerite Hemery in Mexico City, and ever since then the drink has become an institution among backyard BBQ’s, 4th of July parties, and Cinco de Mayo gatherings.
But if that isn’t enough, here are some more reasons to raise a glass today:
- Being vegan means you’ll probably live longer, according to Kathy Freston
- Kevin Costner just may end up being Superman’s dad
- You won’t have to watch Michael Vick being interviewed on Oprah!
- The Loch Ness monster exists!
- There are some super awesome green nominees up for Oscars this year (hello, Colin Firth!)
- “Birdemic” has a 3D sequel coming to a theater near you!
Also, we’ve got a super yummy and low-calorie recipe for you to try out at home— because if you do celebrate you should make it as healthy as you can!
My Favorite Margarita Recipe (via I could sew do that!)
1.5 oz of Good Tequila
The juice of one lime.
3/4 oz of agave nectar
3/4 oz of water
Shake it up, pour it over ice and it’s party time!