Venomous Stowaway Spider Shuts Down Market, Causes Pesticide Frenzy
A store in Bexbach in western Germany had to be completely shut down when a stowaway spider jumped out of a crate of bananas and scurried away to hide in the store. Seeing as the box of bananas came from Colombia, the creature was thought to be the highly venomous and dangerous banana spider.
While there are two types of banana spiders, one large but harmless and the other very deadly, the store played it safe and evacuated everyone and shut down for a couple of days while workers, pest control and even staff members from the local zoo searched high and low for the fugitive arachnid.
It was never found, but the store wished to re-open, so they were left with no choice: they brought in the big guns and fumigated the entire place. But even after the entire store was sprayed with pesticides, there was still no trace of the spider.
A spokesman for the store said that they “haven’t found the spider yet, but according to the exterminator it’s dead.” That might not sound too comforting, but even if the tropical spider escaped the fumes in the store and went outside, the cold weather at night would be too much for it to handle.
The store, meanwhile, has disposed of all the fruit, vegetables and meat that was in the store when it was sprayed with the harsh chemicals. Let’s just hope the replacement crate of bananas doesn’t have any more surprises in it.