While we all know MTV has become less about the music and more about the reality TV, the VMA’s roll on, and this year they have a new category – “Best Video With a Message.”
In conjunction with MTV Act (MTV’s blog where “fist-pumping and lending a helping hand collide”), the VMA’s created the category to celebrate bringing music and social activism together. The nominees are artists who focused their energy into writing songs that make us think about the world around us. The songs include sensitive topics from LGBT rights and domestic violence to just being original and different.
So who are the nominees?
From pop queens to hip hop artists, the diverse list includes:
- P!nk, “F****** Perfect” (For anyone who has ever been less than perfect.)
- Lady Gaga, “Born This Way” (It’s all about being who you are and being proud of it! No prejudice or judgement.)
- Katy Perry, “Firework” (Embrace your originality and show your spark.)
- Eminem featuring Rhianna, “Love the Way You Lie” (The trials of domestic violence are bared in this duet.)
- Rise Against, “Make It Stop” (A reminder that “It Gets Better” for all the LGBT teens.)
- Taylor Swift, “Mean” (A message to bullies everywhere, being mean isn’t going to get you what you want.)
Who do you think is going to take home the VMA for Best Video With a Message? Any songs you wished were on the list?