Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with Veggie Tofu Grilled Fajitas
Happy Cinco de Mayo! If you’re planning on celebrating the Mexican holiday with tasty snacks and some alcoholic beverages like a delicious margarita, why not make your treats vegan and cruelty-free? To guide you in the right direction here is a great, vegan recipe for Fire-Up-the-Grill Fajitas from PETA that will surely satisfy your taste buds.
-Juice of 2 limes (4 Tbsp.)
-1 Tbsp. olive oil
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (for extra heat, don’t seed the pepper before mincing it)
-2 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
-2 tsp. chili powder
-1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (or more if you can stand it)
-1 lb. extra-firm tofu, cut into 1-inch strips
-2 ears fresh corn
-1 large red onion
-1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
-1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
-12 cherry tomatoes
-4 large flour or corn tortillas
• Put the lime juice, olive oil, garlic, jalapeño pepper, cilantro, chili powder, and cayenne pepper in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake well. Put the tofu in a shallow pan, add the lime juice mixture, and marinate in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally, for several hours.
• Meanwhile, remove the husks from the corn and soak it in cold water for 1 hour. Drain the corn and wrap it in aluminum foil. Grill for 20 to 30 minutes, turning often, until the corn is lightly charred. Cut the corn kernels off the cob.
• Parboil the onion and cut into quarters. Thread the onion, bell peppers, and tomatoes onto skewers and brush with some of the lime marinade. Grill, turning often, until lightly charred.
• Place the tofu on the grill, cover with a lid or aluminum foil and cook, basting occasionally with the marinade until the tofu is light brown.
• Heat each tortilla briefly on the grill. Divide the vegetables and tofu equally among the tortillas, then roll them up fajita-style. Serve with guacamole.
Makes 4 servings
Here are some other sizzling Cinco de Mayo recipes provided by PETA for you to create delicious vegan entrees, sides, dips, desserts and drinks!
Photo Credit: Shutterstock