Independence Day is almost upon us, so that means it’s time to start planning your star-spangled menu. What better way to celebrate the Fourth of July than by grilling outside in the warm sun? Here is a delicious veggie burger recipe from PETA that adds a nice tropical twist to the original.
Tropical Veggie Burgers
1 cup green lentils, rinsed
1/4 cup brown rice
2 cups vegetable broth
Water sufficient to cover the lentils and rice
Salt, to taste
1 1/2 Tbsp. margarine
1 onion, chopped
4 tsp. curry powder
1/3 cup shredded carrot
2 Tbsp. Sauvignon Blanc
2 Tbsp. hot sauce
1/2-3/4 cup panko
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp. cumin
1 can pineapple rings, drained
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. margarine
• Put the lentils and rice in a saucepan with the vegetable broth, adding enough water to cover by about 2 inches. Season with the salt and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the lentils and rice are tender, about 30 minutes. Drain any excess liquid and place the lentils and rice in a large bowl. Let cool.
• Meanwhile, melt the margarine in a skillet over medium heat and sauté the onion until tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute. Cool slightly and then add to the lentils and rice.
• Stir in the remaining ingredients and season with the salt. Form into patties and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
• Grill for 5 to 10 minutes on each side, until grill marks appear and the patties are hot.
• Slice the pineapple rings in half to make a thinner ring. Grill until caramelized, about 5 minutes on each side.
• Grill the onion until lightly browned.
• Spread the margarine over the rolls and grill until lightly browned.
• Place the veggie burgers on the buns and top with the pineapple, onions, lettuce, and vegan mayonnaise.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Enjoy your red, white and blue holiday and remember to have fun and be safe!
Photo Credit: Shutterstock