Martha Stewart Gets Salmonella from Thanksgiving Turkeys
Martha Stewart admitted to getting sick around the Thanksgiving holiday due to handling so many uncooked turkeys.
The cook and TV host said, “I never get sick, but I came down with salmonella. I think I caught it because I was handling so many turkeys around Thanksgiving. I was on the ‘Today’ show, I did a number of other [Thanksgiving] appearances. It really hit me hard and I was in bed for days. It was terrible.”
Salmonella can be contracted in a variety of ways including handling raw poultry. But it’s not the bird exactly that does it. It’s fecal matter (poop) that contaminates the bird. When cooked, the danger goes away, but with an uncooked bird, one can get rather sick. According to the CDC, those who get it suffer from “diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps 12 to 72 hours after infection.”
Stewart has been known to explore veganism, both on her show and in many of the foods she eats at home. We wonder if maybe next year she’ll forgo the turkey and choose a lovely seitan or tofu dish instead.
Not to gloat, but vegans can also eat raw cake batter. No guilt about licking that spoon!