OnyxPitBullSavesFamily
by Amanda Just
Categories: Animals.
Photo: Northwood Animal Hospital

At 2 o’clock in the morning last Thursday, Trevor Myres and Sierra Plair woke to the sound of their 9-month-old pit bull, Onyx, barking. They quickly realized it was because there was a fire in their home. They were able to gather their two young children and flee the house in time, but when Myres found Onyx yelping on the patio, he noticed that the pup was on fire. Myres grabbed a hose and extinguished the flames on Onyx, then started to hose down the house.

With $5,000 worth of damages on their home, the family’s main concern was getting medical assistance for Onyx, who suffered burns over about 30% of his body. Without the money to treat Onyx, the family would have had to surrender their dog. When the employees at the Tallahassee Animal Service Center learned that Onyx was a hero, they reached out to veterinarian, Kevin Brumfield of the Northwood Animal Hospital. Dr. Brumfield used social media to raise funds for the several weeks of care and medications that Onyx would need.  Thanks to the kindness of others, Onyx will receive the care he needs and continue to stay with the family he saved.

“I’m just so happy that he’s getting the treatment that he needs and that he deserves,” Plair said. “I honestly do feel like if Onyx wasn’t [in the house], even though it’s unfortunate, anything could have happened. Once [the fire] got up to my son’s room, we wouldn’t have been able to go up there and get the kids out.”

About Amanda Just

Amanda Just is a longtime vegan who loves to promote compassionate living in fun, creative ways. As a writer, she has contributed to This Dish Is Veg, ForksOverKnives.com, and many other blogs, websites, and newsletters. As an activist, she champions many causes, from veganism and animal rights to environmental protection and human rights. Amanda resides in Tampa Bay, Florida.

View all posts by Amanda Just →