rabbit
by Amanda Just
Categories: Animals.

Jake and Mary Pruett, of Bridgeton, N.J., are thankful they had their lucky rabbit’s feet (attached to their beloved pet rabbit, Blazer) when the rabbit woke them in time to flee from a deadly gas leak in their home.

At 2:30 in the morning on November 16th, Pruett said she awoke to Blazer “walking on my face and making noises like a horn was stuck in her nose.” Pruett immediately smelled the gas leak. She woke her husband and together with Blazer they fled the house.

Pruett explained that Blazer has free reign of the house, much like a dog or cat, and has a litter box and pet stairs that lead up to the couple’s bed. She said that Blazer usually only comes up onto the bed during the day, when the couple are awake.

Firefighters determined the cause of the leak was from a faulty stove installation. “It is lucky that they got out alive.  Leaks like this are often fatal either due to death from toxicity of the gas or an explosion,” said Bridgeton City fireman Steve Chambers. Firemen were able to stop the gas Saturday night and the Pruetts and their rescue rabbit, Blazer, returned home Sunday after the fumes aired out.

Photo credit: Shutterstock.com

About Amanda Just

Amanda Just is a longtime vegan who loves to promote compassionate living in fun, creative ways. As a writer, she has contributed to This Dish Is Veg, ForksOverKnives.com, and many other blogs, websites, and newsletters. As an activist, she champions many causes, from veganism and animal rights to environmental protection and human rights. Amanda resides in Tampa Bay, Florida.

View all posts by Amanda Just →
  • saunie

    Good bunny!

  • Maleficent

    Good girl, Blazer!