Bob Barker's 90th Birthday: 5 Fun Facts About the Man
In honor of entertainer and animal activist Bob Barker‘s 90th birthday (Dec. 12th), we here at Ecorazzi want to salute the man who has lent his voice to so many important animal causes. For funsies, here are 5 fun facts about Barker, sure to impress at cocktail parties and trivia competitions, but also warm your heart.
1. Bob Barker is 1/8 Sioux. He spent most of his youth on the Rosebud Indian Reservation in South Dakota. On the US Indian Census rolls for 1885-1940, Barker is listed as a tribe member.
2. Barker hosted “The Price is Right” for nearly 35 years. The show would become the first one-hour game show, as well as the longest running daytime game show.
3. From 1966 to 1988, Barker was a host for both the Miss Universe and Miss USA pageants. He stopped, though, when the pageant organizers continued to put fur coats in the prize packages for the winners, despite Barker’s objections.
4. In 1995, Barker founded the DJ&T Foundation (named after his wife, Dorothy Jo, and his mother, Tilly), which provided free and inexpensive spay and neuter surgeries for cats and dogs. Barker closed each episode of “The Price is Right” with a reminder to viewers to have their pets spayed or neutered. (Current “Price is Right” host, Drew Carey, continues the infamous message at the end of the show.)
5. Barker has financially supported many animal rights causes, including a $5M donation for a large ship for Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (named the MV Bob Barker); $1M to the Colombia University School of Law to expand their animal rights studies; a $2.5M donation to People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals to construct an office in Los Angeles (which is now named the Bob Barker Building on Sunset Boulevard); and in October of this year, $1M to relocate three zoo elephants to a sanctuary.
Thank you, Bob Barker, for all the amazing work you do to make the world a kinder place for our animal friends.
Tune in Thursday, December 12th, to see Bob Barker celebrating his 90th birthday on “The Price is Right” on CBS.
Photo credit: The Price is Right / Facebook.com / CBS
Related on Ecorazzi: