Birthdays are usually self-indulgent, once-a-year events where we receive gifts from loved ones while they sing our praises for being born. But Nathan Fillion, Canadian actor, has turned this tradition on its head for the third year in a row, asking for donations to help build wells so that access to clean water is a right and not a privilege.
Fillion is again partnering with Charity: Water, a nonprofit that searches for organizations who are providing long-lasting water and sanitation services and funds their most successful programs to build even more wells. The previous two birthdays for the “Castle” star raised enough funds to build 22 wells for over 8,000 people who did not have access to clean water.
More people are killed each year from unclean water and lack of proper sanitation than all forms of violence. Children and the elderly are especially vulnerable due to compromised immune systems. 30,000 deaths occur EACH WEEK from the unsanitary conditions, and these deaths are one hundred percent preventable by improving water supplies, sanitation and hygiene.
- Every $10 donation enters you and a guest into a chance to win a lunch or dinner date with Nathan (airfare + accommodations included)*
- Every $250 donation gives you 25 entries to win the trip + a signed photograph
- Every $500 donation gives you 50 entires to win the trip + a signed photograph + a thank you tweet from @NathanFillion
- The first 10 people to donate $1,500 get 150 entries to win the trip + a signed photo + a personalized video from Nathan (6 of 10 left)
- The first 5 people to donate $2,500 get 250 entires to win the trip + a signed photo + a personal voicemail from Nathan (4 of 5 left)
Wish Nathan a happy birthday by contributing to a great cause!
Photo Credit: Shutterstock